Wedded Blitz

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Wedding Party Profiles 1: Kat and Chris

Kat with her husband, Andrew

When I sent out an e-mail to all the members in the wedding party, asking them to share some photos and possibly a short message for this blog, there was one person I knew I could count on to respond to the request with her patented enthusiasm and wry sense of humor. No matter what kind of bizarre project or offbeat activity I cook up, I can always rely on Kat to share her energy, her talent, and her infectious fervor! Here's what Kat had to say:

Kathrine - A Bridesmaid's Two Cents!

It is nothing short of an honor to be a part of the Ally-Tom Wedding. So many thoughts, so many memories, and a specific assignment to write a short commentary about the wedding. Operative word here- Short- so here goes! (Desperate measures, desperate grammatical choices)


Ally is a kind-hearted, sensitive and caring friend throughout. There was never a time when profound advice or a great ear to listen to my long-winded conversations waned. Much valued: all the memories we shared and the relationship we have today. She is one of the most genuine people I have ever known. Also, she is both my cure for anxiety and the cause. Although she has such a calming presence, her love of physical challenges (ie. mountain biking and rock scrambling) keeps me alive and scared.


Likewise, Tom shares many of Ally's strengths. Laughter and positive energy are always part of the equation when we all hang out. His efforts to create unique parties and team-oriented activities are much appreciated. ( ie. The Minions of Al, a funny name for a team, but also a great vocabulary lesson on how to use 'minion' in everyday life.) Nothing less than 110 percent is given in all that he does, which is why he is such a fantastic partner for Ally. This may sound like I am advertising the Ally-Tom wedding to the general public. However, in this day and age, it is a rarity to attend a wedding and truly believe that the couple will live happily together. And once you find that couple, let's cry it out on the internet- for true love exists!!! With certainty, Ally and Tom are soul mates meant to be. You two kids will be beyond fine. A true cause to celebrate!!! (Wow- Now we know this middle school English teacher is ready to party. Ending with a fragment. Wild times on the horizon! )

I think it's a safe bet that "wild times are on the horizon." When Kat is involved, there's never a dull moment!

Ally, Jenna, and Kat take a breather from the belly dancing
at Jenna's Bachelorette Party last year.




Chris: He's so money, he doesn't even know it.

Groomsman Chris and I have been close friends since high school at Chaminade. Earlier on, he and I knew each other mainly through mutual friends. We ran in different circles. He was on the wrestling team, ran the theater stage tech service, organized school dances, and participated in various other service clubs. I was an editor for the school yearbook and a member of PREP for students interested in teaching. We probably would have remained only friendly acquaintances had it not been two formative experiences. The first was my ill-advised attempt to court one of the actresses in the school play. The second was my quoting an hysterical Simpsons monologue that I had memorized verbatim. Since Chris was in charge of the theater stage techs, he and I would talk and joke around when I wasn't trying to chat up the girl. What I immediately liked about Chris was how he'd almost go into convulsive fits of laughter when I re-enacted an entire scene from the Simpsons. My specialty was performing the "Meat and You: Partners in Freedom" monologue, complete with sound effects and hand gestures. Chris often would request it, with the eventual result being my sending him into a fit of laughter, rolling around on the hallway floor. Ultimately, Chris and I would stay great friends, while the actress and I went our separate ways after six months.
During our college years, Chris dormed at Fordham University, while I commuted to St. John's University. Fortunately, our schools' close proximity to each other allowed for frequent visits on weekends, mainly for catching episodes of Mr. Show or watching Cable Guyfor the millionth time, along with the inevitable trip to the nearby 7-11. Not only did Chris grow to be one of my best friends, but he became such a frequent visitor to my home that my parents have come to refer to him as "their third son." Over the years, Chris and I have shared too many great times to recall on a simple blog. Rock concerts, parties, and epic roadtrips punctuated our carefree college days. There was never a scheme too hare-brained, that Chris wouldn't join me in (even if only to keep an eye out for me). When I studied in Ireland for a semester, Chris came to visit during his spring break, rendezvousing on the "Ha' Penny Bridge" over the River Liffey in Dublin. Together, we wandered the crowded streets of the Irish capital on St. Patrick's Day, encountering man-eating public lavatories, avoiding fist-fights in fast food joints, and testing the limits of the local low tide (it made sense at the time). While in Galway, Chris would be one of the first of my friends to meet Alison. It's fitting that he would now play such a significant part in our wedding.

After surviving the fires and filth of Woodstock '99 together, Chris and I would later graduate from our respective colleges and embark on our careers. Chris is now a police officer in Suffolk County, New York. One might find it incongruous for my partner in so many wacky adventures to choose such a vocation in life. However, in addition to being a great pal who brings his unique mixture of humor and heart into all that he does, Chris is man who holds service, responsibility, and volunteering in high regard. While on vacation from police work, he even volunteers at a summer camp for economically and socially disadvantaged children in Mississippi!

So at the wedding, if you hear some booming, infectious laughter... that'll be Chris. And if you see a big white guy going nuts on the dancefloor... that'll be Chris. And if you see some galoot riding on my back? That'll definitely be Chris!

Chris is a steadfast and loyal friend. And Ally and I are truly and deeply honored to have him share this day with us. Thanks for everything, buddy!

"The Banditry Only Gets Better!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home