Wedded Blitz

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Wedding Party Profiles 3: Andrea & Albert


The difficult job I've taken on with this Wedding Party Profile idea was attempting to adequately put into words how much each person that's standing up with us on August 5th really means to us. How do you properly put into sentences the love, the loyalty, and the immense connection we have to these special individuals? Fact is, you can't. Like I mentioned in the last entry, my paltry scribblings really don't do justice to how important each one of these people are in our hearts and minds. This is especially, and particularly hard in Andrea's case.

Believe me, it's hard enough to explain what a wonderful person I think Andrea is. So forget about me trying to convey what she means to Ally. These two girls have been the dearest of friends since they were in the playpen together. People are impressed when they hear that my buddies in the wedding party are all friends I've had since high school. Andrea and Ally have seen their deep and abiding friendship flourish over nearly three decades! How awesome is that?

When you have the pleasure of meeting Andrea, it's a bit hard to believe that such a sweet and gentle gal actually spends her days as an excellent, albeit tough-as-nails elementary school teacher. You'd never guess how someone so easy-going and laid-back could superbly handle a classroom full of fourth graders. But trust me, she does! Yet, despite her obvious intelligence and good sense, she still can always be counted upon to enthusiastically participate in whatever wacky idea or party Ally and I cook up.

And speaking of zany hijinx, when we held our first-ever Cinco de Mayo fiesta a couple of months ago, I found Andrea generously assisting Ally in the kitchen - cutting veggies, preparing food, even washing dishes. I was mortified that a guest was doing so much work. I practically needed a crowbar to pry her away from the sink. "Andrea! I won't have friends cleaning dishes!" I declared. To which she replied, "I'm not a friend, Tom. I'm family!" Hearing this, I responded, "Well, in that case, make sure to sweep up after you're done." And a smack in my face with the dish towel ended that particular family conversation.

But I'll be honest with you - Ally and I are blessed to have family like Andrea!

Where My Girls At?


Drinks in Hand? Check. Ties Around Head? Check. Let the Karaoke Begin!

And while we're on the subject of, "family," let me tell you about my honorary kid brother, Albert. He's certainly spent enough time sleeping under my parents' roof to qualify as a sibling. Like clockwork, every college holiday would involve Al coming by to visit La Casa de Crimmins. Next thing you know, it's two weeks later and he's still chillin' on the couch, sharing a conversation and a cup of tea with my Grandma.

How such a special friendship can begin with a chance meeting over origami folding at a nursing home in Queens is anyone's guess. Such a unique start is fitting for the two of us. Some of my most cherished memories with Al have involved long, bizarre conversations and an outrageous abuse of some random restaurant's free soda refill policy (I think we bankrupted Fuddruckers from all the Diet Coke we drank that one time...)

Whether we're comparing the merits of Ren and Stimpy to Animaniacs, or pondering the meaning of life, or brainstorming sketch ideas for that TV show we're gonna make (one day, Al! It's gonna happen!) any time with Al is always a great time. We were even together the time we met the legendary "Umberto!" His notoriety for wacky t-shirts and encyclopedic knowledge of the most esoteric font of information is only part of his undeniable charm. You're equally liable to find out the best way to prepare lasagna as you are to learn about Salvador Dali paintings after talking to Al for a few minutes. His timely and consistent assistance with the family computer over the years has elevated his stature in this household practically to sainthood (Al, I was wondering if you could come over...)

Ever patient, ever helpful, Al is a man I can always count on, no matter how wacky the adventure. Whether to lend a hand moving furniture, providing moral support as I start cleaning the house at 3AM the morning before a Christmas Party, or just to drop by to cheer me up over a couple of slices of "fresh Mozzarella," Al will always be there for me. Last year, Albert did me the honor of asking me to be one of his Best Men at his wedding, and so it now my honor to have him stand up with me this August at my own. His sweetheart of a wife, Michelle, has also grown to be one of Ally and my dearest friends. I have no doubt that Al and Michelle will be a special part of Ally and my life for many, many years to come. We love you guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home